Saturday, May 21, 2011

MAC_Wk3_BP#1_The Art of Possibility-Chapters 5-8

This book continues to change my thinking on so many things.  There is so much to think about and to try.  As a musician, it is especially true and I have seen it in action.  The Zanders are correct when they say the eyes never lie.  I've been trying to look at my students more closely during class; to really look and see what they're saying without saying a word. There are some who are bored, some who are excited, some who are frustrated, some who are eager.  But if I look, really look, there is a greatness to every student who walks through the door of my classroom.  It is unique to them and only them, each individual.  As a conductor, I need to let my students be their great selves.  The next trick is how do I really do that?

I am trying to follow Rule #6.  I've taken myself seriously for far too long.  So this week, even in the face of concerts, and expectations, I've managed to keep rather calm and collected and much less fearful.  I'm finding that since I've been trying to manifest some of these practices, as a general whole, I feel less fearful.  I feel more hopeful.  That helps everyone relax and we can get things done, sometimes.

I like the fact that seeing the way things are, does not negate my feelings.  My feelings and perceptions are legitimate, as are everyone else.  The difference, I am becoming more capable of clearing away the hurdles that allow me to find the possibilities in the situation.  I feel the frustration, anger, whatever.  Then, I can get on with the solution.  It is a very freeing experience.

And finally, in print, I am given permission to be the optimist!  My glass is indeed half-full!  That is the true state of affairs for all of us isn't it.  If we're honest, things are not perfect, but there are possibilities that exist based on what we do have, our creativity, our discipline, our gifts and talents, whatever they might be.  We all have something to offer.  Therefore the glass is never really empty.  The glass disappears, the walls disappear, the obstacles disappear, and what remains:  the possibilities....
Look at a box of crayons.  What do you see?  Do you see the limited number of colors, or do you see the unlimited possibilities of what you can do with those colors?  I am tired of my life being ruled by fear!  Fear of mistakes, fear of failure, fear of being unacceptable, fear is just one more obstacle that does not need to be given a place.  One more obstacle being slowly and carefully removed, let the statue's beauty shine through.
BTFI! I'm going for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment