Saturday, May 21, 2011

MAC_Wk#3_BP#2 Peer Response to Debra Atherton



@Debra Atherton
It’s complicated being me.  Sometimes I’m a walking manifestation of Rule Number Six:  I stand on desks, I make funny faces, I tell funny stories on myself.  I apologize easily if I get something wrong.  And other times I’m the queen of seriousness.  Usually when students aren’t doing what I want.  What IIIII think is important.  Why, it’s almost like I have two selves!

Ah, the crucial moment at last, when we realize the war exists between that of the created and real self...

I can’t help it but see the spiritual side of it.  The “old” man of selfishness, survival, need, fear, jealousy, and so many other things compare it to the “new” man; the giving, fearless, loving, caring, kind of person that really wants to be allowed to exist.  It all goes back to the original premise: It’s all invented.  Now all we have to do is decide which one we want to share with others.  There’s a proverb I’ve heard, the dog that eats the best wins the fight.  Which “dog” are we going to feed the central self or the calculating self?  I dare say the central self will require the most attention to survive.  It will be the most challenging and difficult.  But I think it will be worth it!  Here’s to our students, their greatness, and to us, for allowing them to be themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment