Friday, May 13, 2011

Wk 2 BP#1 Reading The Art of Possibility Ch. 1-4



Ok, I’m blown away.   I’m a bit of a fanatic about self-help books.  It’s in my nature at least according to some of the psych and personality tests I’ve taken.  I like thoughts and ideas that challenge my own, especially if they make me and my world and work a better place.  What makes this even better:  the authors are a world-class musician and a psychologist!  The reference point of world-class is a standard of competency, and is not a comparison of the "measured world” (Zander & Zander, p.33).

The most important part of the reading for me thus far has to be the “secret of life” and the first practice of the book:  It’s all invented.  Every thing that I have heard about how fat I am, or stupid, or any other negative thought, any positive thought too that I’ve heard, it was invented by someone.  Likewise, every comparison I’ve made of myself to others, every negative thing  I’ve said (every positive one too), and it was all invented.  That’s huge!  That one practice, principle, idea, changes EVERYTHING!  I can change that invention or recreate it.  I can be transformed by a new way of thinking. 

Now the bible college student comes out and recalls every verse I ever memorized about this very topic but in particular, this: Romans 12:2, “and be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind...” (KJV).  The Greek word is “metamorphoo” which means to change into another form.  It is the same word that we use in science of the butterfly life cycle.  When in the cocoon, the caterpillar goes through the process of metamorphosis-to literally change into another form, from “ugly” worm-like crawling creature to a “beautiful” colorful flying creature.  
 
I put ugly and beautiful in quotations because those are comparisons of survival mode as opposed to universe of possibility.  Some may think the caterpillar is beautiful and the butterfly ugly, for their reasons and assumptions.   See how one thought begins to slowly transform everything else! 

I took so many notes on just these 4 chapters, I could write for days but the REAL trick is putting them into practice.  The Zanders were right, they are indeed simple practices, but by no means are they easy.  Imagine taking his perspective and applying it to my daily classroom, even just to my own personal life.  Since the first practice is the cornerstone the “secret of life” I will write only of that one here.  However, I’ve already started to practice number 1.  I feel better already.  I’m just a little bit happier, just a little less critical, just a little more open.  I have given myself an A, and my students.  I realize that I do make a difference, to at least some of my students, friends, family, and colleagues.  And if I make a difference to someone, anyone, I’ve made a contribution.  Like the ripples on a lake, my little stone that I throw into the lake of life, as small as can be, will change that lake forever, whether anyone recognizes it or not.  But a true and complete metamorphosis takes time.  I am a butterfly in the making and I am so looking forward to the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Jeannine,
    What a beautiful blog! Your choice of photography is a lovely collection. Reading your words was just as uplifting as the book. It was wonderful to read your thoughts and that you are already practicing. I understand what you meant about taking notes. As a matter of fact I love the book so much that I visited Barnes and Nobles today to find a copy for a few friends who I though would enjoy it or benefit from it too. You know, there was only one and it was in the business section? go figure. Amazon, here I come ☺ Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete