Saturday, May 7, 2011

MAC Wk 1 Reading Post #1


MAC - Wk 1 Reading Post #1

As a music teacher, I have, over the years, become familiar with copyright law.  As a younger teacher, I admit I did not respect that law very well.  However, as I changed jobs and districts, as I began to create my own works and discuss issues with colleagues, I began to understand copyright laws importance.  I have purchased books on the subject from the Music Educators National Conference (MENC) and Technology in Music Education (Ti:ME) websites.  They have been a most useful guide in obeying the law and protecting the rights of the artists whose music we enjoy. 

Copyright law was not something discussed very much in either my undergraduate or graduate work.  Of course in writing papers and the like, citations were required.  Plagiarism was discussed and reprimanded.  However, with the changes in technology, I think a course on copyright law should be taught.  Likewise, the availability of creative commons should be discussed in that course.   How will students understand that taking someone’s “idea” is not right, unless they are taught to respect the work of others? 

For example, all during my action research, I was constantly watching my students while they worked to be sure that the images they used were copyright free, covered by fair use or not used on their project.  They were greatly disappointed at first.  As we discussed it in class, I asked students how would they feel if someone stole their idea and didn’t ask permission to use it.  They agreed unanimously that they wouldn’t like it.  When I explained that was why the copyrighted material couldn’t be used, they understood and accepted that premise.  It was also interesting to note that since that class discussion, if students had a doubt about the use of an image, they asked me for guidance in using that image.  I always say people do what they’re taught.  If students are made aware of the need to credit a creator’s work, then most often they will respect that creator’s rights.  In turn, they also learn to respect the work of their peers. 

Larry Lessig (TED TV Larry Lessig’s Talk about Remix Culture) was a great explanation of both the problems and solutions to this discussion of copyright law, creators’ rights and the changes in culture that need to provide a continuing voice for people to speak and create in their own cultural circumstances.  I find it interesting that competition was the solution for the ASCAP monopoly on music and how BMI (the competition) created the solution to the problem.  Perhaps Lessig’s Creative Commons will help to bring balance that is so desperately needed between rights and creativity. 

Watching the videos was most helpful, especially in how the creative commons license can be used.  The static cartoons that were supplemental were most helpful in describing the categories of usage.  I would like to go back and put a creative commons license on everything I’ve ever created!  However, I will from now on try to remember to include the creative common license.  I am not selfish.  I love to share and I think any little bit of knowledge, creativity or ideas that I have that is useful to someone should be shared.  But now I have a way of sharing my creativity while preserving my rights as an artist. 

3 comments:

  1. Jeannine,

    I have to admit I have really kind of blown off this whole copyright issue with my students—just one more item on the never-ending list of things we have to do, & it’s one I haven’t made it a point to get to. It’s that “fair use” idea: If they’re using it for their education, that makes it okay, doesn’t it? But what am I modeling for them? In many other arenas, I try to show them as well as teach them that they are designed to be kind and respectful of others, and to honor both who those others are and what they’ve accomplished. How, then, can I just slide over the concept of respecting the intellectual property of others? Your post was a wake-up call for me. As seniors, my students are not only very involved in the creativity our videos referred to, but about to leave the relatively forgiving world of school and childhood, and get out into the “real” world—where they can be sued for not having been taught this!

    And another place your blog inspired me was in the arena of passing on what we have learned to other teachers. Again being honest (don’t people often seem to say that before they begin whining?), it seems a lot of this “extra-content” stuff seems to fall on English teachers—and being pretty much the only ones who seem to be actually teaching (and therefore having to grade) writing, we feel quite over-burdened as it is. (Seriously. I do not see any other teachers dragging around boxes and baskets of papers!) But this is an issue that’s connected with the “atmosphere” of an entire school—Do we respect others, or not? With high schoolers, there are so many arenas where this can be taught! I don’t know ANY teachers at my school (well, maybe two) who aren’t committed to helping their students become better, more thoughtful and considerate human beings—and your blog has convinced me that that is what this issue is about!

    And once again, you inspire me to get “GoAnimated”! What a great way to get with the parents; they have got to think, when they see that, “Well, this is obviously not gonna be your boring school meeting!” I bet I could embed something like that on my LMS for Back-to-School Night next fall! (I’m still not going to give up making my seniors create invites for their parents, though—that’s one of my favorite assignments!)

    Finally, you have inspired me all year with your determination and persistent strength. You have had such an amazing year in all the things you have done and learned, and I know much of it has been through challenges, like your illness, that would have overcome someone who was not such an overcomer! I really hope you are coming down for graduation; time to do some celebrating in person!

    :<) Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students were not quite as easy to convince as yours. The idea that you have the rights of ownership to the art and music you create was hard for some of them to accept. It is cool your students now ask you when they are in doubt. I still have to remind mine at the start of a new project. I think that having web sites posted where they are easy to see is one way to remind kids of places to find music and images that are okay to use.

    I believe that you are right about the impact you can have as a teacher by making students aware, not only of rules concerning copyright, but of ways of legally gathering music and other files. It isn’t enough to say “no.” You have to provide an alternative (like Creative Commons). You have helped your students form a habit that will carry on long after they leave your classroom. Good for you ☺

    I liked the comic version of Creative Commons information, too. I could see my students paying more attention to the information presented that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that you are committed to CC license your work to share with the world. I usually put a note at the end of my video tutorials that says they can be used/shared in any way that would help humanity.

    I enjoyed reading your journey from copyright tolerant to copyright proponent because of your life as a musician.

    ReplyDelete