Saturday, May 14, 2011

MAC_Wk2_BP#3Comments to Anne Alsup and Jess, Tricia and Debra


“Who makes the rules anyway and what were they thinking? Seriously, if we never colored outside the lines, where would we be? If we define ourselves by our perceptions of what our administrators, legislators, students or their parents think of us; where would we be? Given the current state of affairs in education, I'd much rather step into a "universe of possibilities" where I can have some control over my perception of the reality. If teachers are going to inspire their students, they need to have some inspiration.”

Dear Anne,
and Tricia and Jess and Debra...

I hope you don’t mind that I jump in on this conversation.  I think we’re only supposed to comment on one person’s thoughts, but this was too good to be passed up, an actual discussion of the need for change.  However, this is not the typical discussion I’ve experienced where everyone complains and whines about how bad everything is.  This is one where we all have an understanding that things CAN change, as we change. 

You’re right Anne, who made the rules INDEED!  And yet, in the reading, if we really examine the depths of our souls we will realize truly, we did.  Likewise, it is in that understanding, that moment of hard cold reality that the Universe of Possibilities begins to truly open!  It is in that moment that you begin to realize that in even the constraints of job requirements, testing, paperwork and attacks on teachers, you see that it doesn’t matter what any of them think.  It only matters what YOU think and that YOU CAN CHANGE THE RULES. 

No, it won’t be easy.  Change that is worth it never is, change that is required to set us free, and our students free.  It will require great effort, work and patience.  It will require that we face disappointment, and struggle.  It may not even happen in our teaching careers or lifetime.  We may not reach every student or colleague, or administrator.  But we can and will reach some.  We do make a difference-to someone.  Our existence has a ripple effect, and it lasts FOREVER because it is passed on to the one in whom our difference had helped.   Then they in turn will pass it on.  Think of the teachers that inspired you the most; did they not, unwittingly (having not read this tremendous book), do that very thing?  For those we “reach” will they not do as we have done? 

Jess talked about standards based assessment in classes.  I’ve been doing that for years in my district.  Now the state is changing the rules again.  You know what, so what!  Standards of competency are not to be ignored (Zander & Zander p. 33).    I think it is more of an approach of how we approach the challenge, how we show meaning to our students of that which they are learning, how we encourage ourselves and then our students to think “outside of the box” and create new paradigms and new rules for themselves.  It will be difficult; I have first to learn to navigate through this new universe.  Will I be perfect?  No, of course not.  Will I reach every student, teacher, administrator?  No, of course not.  But I can try.  Ask yourself, which is worse, to have a glimmer of hope that can grow into a great light of change, or to see that glimmer of hope and let it die because I was too selfish to try?

I have been afraid of failure all of my life.  I’ve never felt good enough, never felt loved, always striving, always working, always...ENOUGH!  My own rules have been my own downfall.  New universe, new rules, new game.  Who’s in? 

Tricia has a point.  There are simply rules of society and culture of school.  We need agreement about how we will act towards each other.  They are the forced rules of survival.  But we are the factors of change in our locations.  Have we not learned that throughout our studies this year?  We are the pioneers in education; we are the ones to begin to effect change.  If the rules are invented, make up our own!  Isn’t that the whole point of this book?  If the universe of possibility is there then truly ANYTHING can happen!  But we can’t look at the restraints.  That is survival thinking.  Step up, and look into that new universe.  It is there for the taking and sharing!

Oh no!  Did the Zanders create a monster?  

1 comment:

  1. A SUPERHERO is more like it!!!

    I remember writing not long ago that you should look at how far you'd come... and that was a million miles ago! It's a blast to see you so invigorated, so "transformed by the renewing of your mind"--you make it very clear what that means.

    And you are so right. I am so blessed to have admin that actually wants me to expand on what I'm doing; my favorite AP has just been promoted to principal, & has called together all the "in" teachers Monday to do planning for the future, and for the very first time I'm invited to be a part of that!

    And I am blessed to have received the friendship of such amazing, creative, growing people in this program. You inspire me!

    Yeah--I know, the age jokes sound a bit self-deprecating... but, because you in spire me to be honest, here's my confession: they're bragging in disguise! Yes! Here I am, 56 years old, 20-year-+ teacher, the English teacher "you don't wanna get--she's so hard"--and I am the one going out into this new paradigm and rocking the world. Other teachers my age are counting minutes till retirement, and I'm gearing up to do this job another 10 or 20 years!!! I'm afraid I think I totally rock. ! ! ! ! !

    So do you!

    ReplyDelete