Sunday, May 29, 2011

Thoughts on Tech and Media History


Interview with Ron Smith, lead teacher at the New Media Academy at Hollywood High School, Hollywood CA, with Dr. Holly Ludgate at Full Sail University



I thought this was an interesting interview.  Mr. Smith made a comment that was most important to me as I ponder using technology more in my classroom.  He was discussing problems that existed in using technology in his school, with teachers being the main problem.  Later he explained that digital teaching is “front-loaded.”  That is to say, media must be purposefully created way in ADVANCE of being used.  Most teachers, (myself included) will create a lesson plan the day, even the period before students arrive.  With the use of technology, that simply will not work. Time is needed to create and/or find media resources that suitable for use in the class.  Thank goodness for summer vacation!

Ron Smith also mentioned some open source software that he uses.  Apparently he has a similar issue with budgets as most teachers do.  Free is a wonderful word for a teacher to hear!  He mentioned Scratch from MIT, Sketchup by Google and Blender.  I am looking forward to reviewing these resources and others as I look to next school year.  Digital teaching will be challenge, but one that if it reaches my students, will be worth the effort. 




sources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment