Saturday, May 21, 2011

MAC_Wk#3 BP#4-Free Post-My goals for Publishing/leadership

Here she is, the girl who was unafraid. Well, I'll confess, I'm still a little afraid.  I've just decided that "nothing ventured, nothing gained."  So this girl has made a decision.  She has decided to write an article on the need for elementary music teachers to complete action research-to teach by example.  One of the most difficult things that I discovered in completing the Literature Review for my action research was the lack of research that existed for elementary general music grades 1-5.  I found a total of 2 studies.  Those articles also clamored about the lack of research.  It would be "ok" if the articles were written in 2005, 2006.  But they weren't; those articles were written in 2009 and 2010.  I haven't quite formalized how I will accomplish this by Friday, but I have actual plans for submission.  I have checked out the MENC (National Conference of Music Educators) and my state affiliate NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association).  Guidelines are posted for article submission on their websites, and listed various publications. I was going to think "smaller" by trying the NYSSMA site at first.  However, they wanted articles of only 1000 words.  The MENC journals more conducive to the assignment, in particular, the Music Educators Journal.  Their requirement was for 1800-3500 words and topics that were to help teachers in their practice.  So, after much thought, that's the decision.  I will write an article, display my research and explain how it has helped me to see my practice and change it, for the betterment of my students.  Oh God, help me get this written!

2 comments:

  1. It's an old explanation: Being brave doesn't mean not being scared. Being brave means you might be scared to death, but you do the right thing anyway.

    It's so weird; very little makes us feel as worthy--or as truly alive--as being brave.

    You gotta admit, Jeannine, it's pretty cool being you these days!

    :) Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Yes, that's an alligator. You can see her face at the bottom of last week's reflection.

    This year will be our 3rd trek to Florida in 4 years--we had to skip last summer because I was kinda busy; We only went up the coast to Washington & back--and we've never even been to Disney. I suspect that will change this year; my boy's 14 and is evolving a little away from his interest in alligators.

    But I suspect this year's trip is going to be exceptionally special...!

    ReplyDelete