Sunday, October 17, 2010

BP_9_JamStudio.com

As a music teacher, I am always looking for tools that are free (or near free), useful and fun.  Well, here is another tool to consider!  It is called Jam Studio. 


Using a fairly simple interface, students just point and click to what they want to do.  Each time you log in, there is a very short demonstration on how it works in 3 simple steps.  However, I recommend you play around with it before using it in class.  There are little idiosyncrasies that make it just a bit confusing, until you figure it out.

Basically, JamStudio is about creating an original background accompaniment in various styles that you can then use to play solos.  It is a lot like Garage Band on your Mac Book.  However, because it is on the web it is available for anyone on any type of computer.  Once you’ve created your accompaniment, you then click on save and it will be available next time you log in. 

If you pay for their membership ($24.95/6month) you can click on MP3 and it will email you the completed “polished” version of your creation.   Even more important, as a paid subscriber, you have full rights and access to your song and can use it any way you want!  (Yes, I am paid up for 6 months!  I thought it was worth it!)

To have the “all access pass” to the site, there is a fee as mentioned above.    However, educators scroll down (or hit the MORE button), look to the left and you will find a little red button that says “in the classroom.”  Click on it and it will give you a YouTube video of how JamStudio is being used in music classrooms, and more importantly how to apply for a grant for FREE access to their site for students and educators.  The form is very simple see the screen shot below).


Grant application form




One more thought, if you think this is for music class only, think again.  This is a great place for students to create original music for video backgrounds, collaboration across subject areas, multiple intelligence / brain-based learning projects or whatever opportunities you can imagine. 

If you are looking for a simple tool to use in class to encourage creativity, critical thinking, collaboration and communication, then JamStudio may be for you.  Go, play and have fun. 

2 comments:

  1. Jeannine

    This is a very thorough description of JamStudio's capabilities. I am not a music teacher, but I do have students who write lyrics and then want to put them to music. I have been letting them use my Garage Band on my Mac--they come in after school. One student in particular has really taken off with it, and he's "put together" some really cool music. I was thinking that maybe I could turn them on to a web-based application that they could access from home, or on their own time.

    Thanks for the hit on it. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell by your description that you really enjoyed this site. I am not a music teacher, but I do have a great respect and love for music. I know alot of people, particularly students I have worked with, that would love to learn music. This tool reminds me of garage band in the sense that you can use it to create composition and edit. This would be a great tool for someone just starting in music and want to experiment.

    P.S.: The music copyright protestion is a plus as well

    ReplyDelete