Monday, October 4, 2010

BP_4

Finally, a tool any of my students can use!  All they need is a computer, and this site called kisstunes.com Continued after the screenshot and screenflow...


(Who's on the top ad banner there?  Can it be?)


I have been looking for a full week to find  something from web 2.0 tools that would be appealing to both me and my students.  As I scoured the Go2Web20 site for a great tool, I was a little disappointed.  As a music teacher, I am always looking for tools to get students involved in not just listening to music or playing games that teach music reading skills, etc., but tools that get students creating music.  In one of the articles I was reading for my action research, it was stated that students need to be emotionally involved in their learning in order to make it relevant, significant and to create a lasting impact (Bauleke & Herrmann, 2010).  

Students are always asking me if they can play the piano.  What am I supposed to do with a class of 20 students who want to play the piano, but there is only one instrument?         How can I give them all an opportunity to try, without wasting everyone's time waiting for the next person?  How can I get all of my students to create their own music without a piano lab?
Then I stumbled across http://www.kisstunes.com !


Answers finally came!  It is appealing because it is simple to use, requires nothing but the internet and a computer, it's FREE and it is safe for younger elementary students.  This is indeed a rare find because many music sites are barraged with inappropriate material that prevents their use in school.  This site goes so far as to request older students to respect the younger ones by posting only appropriate material that all can enjoy.  
I particularly like the sharing/comment features.  With proper guidance (NO CYBER BULLYING), students can listen, compliment, critique NICELY and interact with each other and their creations.  This is all in addition to the creative process itself.  

Our district is going to be using Google Apps and soon all of my students will have an email account.  Once that piece is in place, and rules of use are in place, I would like to have my students visit this site, create their accounts and experiment.  

I also was thinking of ways in which I could use this tool in my action research project.  The unit of study is going to be based on the Underground Railroad.  To differentiate instruction, I could include this as one of several projects that students can choose to complete the unit.  Students could create their own spiritual song, giving hope and direction to other slaves who are making their way to be free.  I know it needs to be developed, but the seed is there to grow.  I am so excited about this tool!  

5 comments:

  1. Nice review of Kisstunes Jeannine. Your demo was terrific. I liked your pacing and I didn't feel rushed while listening to you. The sound quality of the music seems alright. I really think you could get students creating tunes for many subject areas. I think your idea of the spiritual as a song form is a good one for children to try. Do you teach specific themes or rhythms for this unit? I love all the songs in Rise Up Singing, ed. by Peter Blood and Annie Patterson. This song collection is a "Sing Out" publication. ISBN:0-7935-3778-9. When I'm on the 'Net, I'm always feeling too rushed. Thanks for a pleasant interlude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what happened to the screenflow sample that I uploaded. It stopped working. However the link to the site works. I am sorry for any inconvenience. I am working on the problem. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I think I fixed it. If there are any problems in viewing the screen flow video, please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannine, this is a great review of a web 2.0 tool that I can tell you will get a lot of great use out of. Your screen flow video is very well done and does a nice job of showing off the site. I am looking forward to see how your use of Kisstunes goes with your students. I will definitely be sharing this site with my music teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeannine!
    You gave a great insight to this web 2.0 tool. I had never heard of Kisstunes. It was interesting to find out all it does. I will try this tool at home first with my son as well as share with others at my school. Thanks Jeannine for the information.

    ReplyDelete