Monday, April 30, 2012

Where will all the music have gone?



I find it amazing that in all of the plans and common core standards and all of that, well, yes important stuff, music programs in schools all over this country are facing cuts.  I have heard it at board meetings, only recently and in budget discussions both far and near.  It is incredibly disheartening.  Even colleagues at times have said such disparaging remarks like "why do we even need instrument lessons?  Why can't kids just take private lessons?"  My answer:  because it's a PUBLIC SCHOOL!  (Sorry for the cyber shouting.)  If it wasn't for a public school education, I would never have been able to have music lessons, though I loved music from a very early age.  But I digress...


And yet, I have a question that no one seems able to answer:  If there are no music classes, or music ensembles (or art classes for that matter) who is going to create all of the images and sounds, music  that everyone clamors for in project-based learning, in technology, in multimedia presentations, for differentiated instruction?    If music programs are eradicated from the curriculum for whatever reason, what will the future hold for our culture, our society and the legacy of our nation? 


I'm not going to debate the validity of the pop music culture and the "artistic license" some individuals take.  That's a different discussion.  My question I believe is down to the very core of the issue, as it has been since I started as a music education major years ago now.  What is the value of music education in our society?  


I know, I get it.  Students need to read and write, and perform mathematics for various reasons.  But as educators are we going to face the truth?  If we are to "educate the whole child"  (don't you just love that phrase?) then we must  include the arts as well.  Music is part of the very core of our being.  From mother's womb when she sings to us (good or bad singing notwithstanding) or listening to music and feeling it in herself, her child inside feels it too.  


I know, not every child is going to be a musician, just like not every child will be a doctor or lawyer or ......NOR SHOULD THEY BE.  Each person is unique and therefore has something unique to themselves to contribute to our society in their own way.  But in order to do that, children need the opportunity to learn in ALL fields of learning to make their own informed decisions as to how they want their life to be and how they will contribute.  That information is obtained by a time of study in every field, especially and including the arts.  


Heard this before have you?  Yes, I know.  I've been defending my work for 22 years.  As a music teacher, I still have to "defend" what I do as valuable to some who see me as a nuisance.  We hear the cry for deeper understanding, for data-driven instruction, for common core standards of learning, for teacher accountability.  When will the powers that be follow their own advice, take a look at the data and see the scientific proof that music and art are not only important, but VITAL to the education of every child? 

No comments:

Post a Comment